• Christopher Neville

Brookside Blast December 4th

Updated: Mar 12


Hello Brookside Families! It was another great week at Brookside. We had lots of fun sledding at recess, finishing out lanterns for the Parade of Lights and working hard honing our reading and math skills. Only a few bits of information to share this week:)


Winter Gear

Thank you for continuing to send winter clothes with your child each day. We will go outside for recess and outdoor learning throughout the winter months. It is important that they come each day with winter jackets, snow pants, boots, hats, and gloves. We have extra winter clothes if your child forgets on a given day. If your child is in need of winter clothing, please let us know and will support your family in making sure your kiddos have what they need.


River of Light Parade

https://www.ariveroflightinwaterbury.org/


Parade Start Time: 5:00 PM - sharp - parade start at State office Complex in the horseshoe.


Happiness Challenge

According to research in the field of positive intelligence, doing these 5 things every day for 21 days will make you happier:

  • Write down three things you are grateful for.

  • Journal about one positive experience you have had in the last 24 hours

  • Meditation

  • Exercise

  • Random Act of Kindness- one positive email or note

This research also shows that:

  • 90% of your long term happiness is not predicted by your external world, it is predicted by the way your brain processes the world.

  • Only 25% of job success is predicted by IQ, the other 75% is predicted by optimism levels, social support, and your ability to see stress as a challenge instead of a threat.

  • If you can raise someone’s positivity in the present, their brain experiences a “happiness advantage”.

  • Your brain at positive performs better than negative or stressed. Intelligence, energy, and creativity rise.

As a school community, we started a Happiness Challenge this week and invited participation from across the school. You are also invited to participate. Each day for 21 days, try the following:

  • Each morning, write down three things you are grateful for.

  • Each evening, journal about one positive experience you have had in the last 24 hours.

  • At least once throughout the day, take one minute (or more) of silent reflection or meditation.

  • Exercise for at least 20 minutes each day.

  • Write one positive email, text, or note to someone important in your life each day.

Give it a try and we hope it brings you joy:) This idea is based on the work of Harvard professor, Shawn Anchor and his book The Happiness Advantage.


https://www.shawnachor.com/books/happiness-advantage/